Thursday, June 9, 2011

Severe Weather Warning

Yesterday we woke up to a Severe Thunder Storm Warning. We were pretty excited.
No one does thunder storms like the midwest. Sure the southwest is neat to watch the thunderstorms dance across the desert, and the east where you can watch the lightning over the ocean, but it is only the midwest where it feels like you live in an electric cloud.

Here thunder is not a distant boom, but instead a machine gun aimed straight at your house. Thunder sounds like a loud "CRACK" that will wake you up out of a dead sleep even if the storm is 15 miles away. I blame this on the lack of mountains.

However, while I am not a fan of these storms during the night, I ADORE them during the day. They are incredible! Thunder and lightning are everywhere.

Last night the storm started while we were on a trip to walmart, we stopped in the middle of the store to look up and see through a little skylight the trauma outside. We could see flashes and the thunder was so loud it practically shook the entire store. When the rain would pour I could yell to Scott and he would still have no idea what I was saying. It was SO LOUD. It was amazing. I love a good storm.

On our way out we had to book it to our car, we ran through puddles that went up to our ankles and we sopping wet when we got to our car. We laughed a lot.

Scott was brave and drove the twenty minutes home while I got to crane my neck out the window to watch the storm behind us.

When we got home we emptied out the groceries as fast as we could and then turned all of the lights off, pulled up chairs and our favorite treats (hot chocolate for me, ice cream for Scott). We just sat staring out our giant front window for the next hour and a half. It was pretty fabulous.

No comments:

Post a Comment